Monday, March 28, 2011

Song of the Day 26: Death Cab For Cutie - The New Year


Death Cab For Cutie is a band I've always heard mixed opinions about, but for me they'll always be a go to group when I crave some crisp indie music. Their album Transatlanticism will always be a nostalgic ride for me, and has been since early 2009. Ben Gibbard is easily one of the best lead men in modern music and holds this position with his imaginative and thought-provoking lyricism stemming mostly from his social experiences. Everything about this band has become something I can relate with and I feel like I've grown up with some of these songs as they age without a wrinkle. I'll include a small lyric at the bottom which may be my favorite from the record. It's incredibly simple, but it really hits me.

I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding the map. No more airplanes or speed trains or freeways, there'd be no distance that could hold us back.

No comments: